Natural yogurt is becoming the wave of the future in the world of yogurt. It has a taste that’s totally unique and delightful. People who taste it keep coming back for more!
What Does Natural Yogurt Taste Like? Natural yogurt tastes pure, light, tangy, and cultured. It has a vibrant tartness, reminiscent of sour cream, with an airy lift of creaminess. Natural yogurt tastes almost the same as regular yogurt. The texture tends to be hearty, smooth, cool, and silky.
If you’re still not quite sure what to expect, see the list below for more details relating to the taste.
Here is a complete taste profile of natural yogurt:
- Tangy – Natural yogurt tends to be slightly more tart than regular grocery store yogurt. The flavor is bright and open, giving the palate a little kick that makes the mouth water.
- Light – You’ll experience a lighter sensation on your tongue from natural yogurt. It isn’t weighed down from all the additives that make regular yogurt heavier.
- Smooth – If natural yogurt is done right, it’s very smooth and full of silky luxury. It tastes like a cloud of velvet in your mouth.
- Creamy – Even though natural yogurt is light, it has a balancing thickness that gives it weighted body, similar to a good vanilla pudding.
- Cultured – The addition of cultures and probiotics to natural yogurt gives it a special taste like that of farm-fresh cultured cream.
- Similar to Sour Cream – Natural yogurt is often compared to the texture and taste of sour cream. However, sour cream is much thicker than yogurt. And sour cream is, well, more sour than yogurt.
- Similar to Greek Yogurt – Some people say that natural yogurt has a similar tang like that of Greek yogurt. However, Greek yogurt is thicker, while natural yogurt is more flowing. Greek yogurt is more sour, while natural yogurt is less tart.
Natural yogurt tastes delicious by itself, or mixed with mouth-watering toppings. Below, you’ll find some great natural yogurt ideas to show you how to eat it. There are endless toppings you can try!
What is Natural Yogurt?
Natural yogurt is a type of yogurt without artificial or synthetic ingredients. It’s made up of animal milk that’s cultured with probiotics. The probiotics make the milk ferment, giving it a thick and creamy texture. The fermentation process gives yogurt a tangy tartness, similar to sour cream.
Natural yogurt means that all of the ingredients are sourced straight from nature. There’s minimal processing and great care is taken to ensure it’s free of toxins, chemicals, and fake coloring. Natural yogurt contains probiotics to help the fermentation process.
Common probiotics used as natural yogurt cultures include:
- Bifidobacterium lactis
- Streptococcus thermophilus
- Lactobacillus delbrueckii
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
How do you make plain yogurt taste good?
If you’re wondering what to mix with plain yogurt and how to eat it, here are some enjoyable toppings. These natural yogurt ideas bring excitement to any bowl.
Natural Yogurt and Oats
- Oats are a delicious topping you can add to any yogurt. It’s totally safe to eat raw oats. Just sprinkle some on top, and you’re ready to eat.
- If you want to get a bit more gourmet, you can add some granola, which is technically toasted oats with extra flavor. Just watch your teeth: if granola is too crunchy, it can wear your teeth down over time. Soft granola is perfect, but harder to find.
Natural Yogurt and Honey
- Honey is an extremely popular topping for natural yogurt. If you don’t like the bland taste of plain yogurt, adding honey gives it a wonderful sweetness that makes it go down easier. The best honey out there is raw and organic. Raw honey is a better choice because it preserves the natural antibacterial properties.
- Heat destroys some of the beneficial qualities of honey. That’s why it’s better to get it raw.
Natural Yogurt and Fruit
Fruit is probably the most common topping that’s added to yogurt. It’s always best to choose fresh fruit. Some of the more popular fruits you can add include:
Always buy organic fruit if you want to avoid sprayed chemicals on the skins of your fruit.
Natural Yogurt and Almond Butter
- To pack a high protein punch, you can add almond butter to your yogurt. It’s a delicious way to add dimension and depth to your experience. Almond butter has healthy fats that help you feel full longer.
How to Make Yogurt Less Sour
If you don’t like the sour taste of yogurt, you can add a little honey to help neutralize the flavor.
Natural Yogurt Nutrition
Natural yogurt is full of nutrients. Of course, the nutritional facts will vary from brand to brand, but here is a list of some nutrients commonly found in yogurt 1 :
- B2 Riboflavin
- Vitamins D and B12 (only certain brands add this)
Types of Natural Yogurt
There are many different kinds of natural yogurt to choose from:
- Organic – Organic yogurt is certified by an organic certification and accreditation institution (such as the USDA). That means the animals are not allowed to be given any synthetic growth hormones or antibiotics. The animals must also be allowed to graze freely and can only eat organic food. They must be treated in a humane manner. Organic yogurt tastes better than regular yogurt.
- Cow – Natural yogurt made from cow’s milk is the most common out of all the yogurt in stores today. This is the easiest to find, but some people complain that it doesn’t digest well. Most people know exactly how cow yogurt tastes.
- Goat – Goat milk yogurt is becoming more popular today. It’s a preferable option for people who have trouble digesting cow dairy. Goat yogurt tastes a little more tangy than cow yogurt.
- Sheep – Sheep milk yogurt is the most difficult to find out of all the yogurt types on the market today. It’s a wonderful option for people who don’t digest cow dairy well. Sheep yogurt tastes tangier than cow yogurt.
- Vegan – Vegan natural yogurt has become trendy and widespread. You can find it at almost every grocery store. It’s a great alternative for people who don’t want to harm animals or who can’t digest dairy. There are many different versions ranging from soy to cashew. Vegan yogurt tastes like pudding with a nutty flavor. Warning: Avoid the ingredient “carrageenan“. Studies show it could be harmful. 2
- Lactose-Free – Some people have difficulty digesting lactose. There are many different kinds of yogurt available today that are made without lactose. Lactose-free usually tastes like any regular yogurt.
- Probiotic-Enriched – Yogurt is made from natural cultures. These cultures are also known as probiotics. Sometimes brands will add additional probiotics to their yogurt after the fermentation process, to support better overall health. Probiotics are known to have many health benefits. Probiotic-enriched yogurts tend to have a slightly tart, but healthier taste.
NATURAL YOGURT RECIPE FOR BREAKFAST
- 1 cup organic natural yogurt
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios
- ½ cup organic blueberries
- 3 Tablespoons hulled hemp seeds
Directions: Spoon the yogurt into your favorite bowl. Sprinkle the pistachios, blueberries, and hemp seeds on top. Mix the toppings in a bit. Enjoy!
Is it OK to eat flavored yogurt?
Yes, but if you want to avoid artificial ingredients, choose organic flavored yogurt. Most flavored yogurt that isn’t organic has a lot of sugar that doesn’t come from natural sources. You can rest assured that organic yogurt, no matter the flavor, is free of chemicals and artificial pesticides.
There are many awesome flavors to choose from. Flavored yogurt makes natural yogurt taste much better, for those who don’t enjoy the plain kind. See the free recipe above if you want to make your own flavored yogurt. It’s super easy!
Many people prefer the taste of natural yogurt as compared to the regular grocery store stuff. Not only does natural yogurt take us a step closer to the natural world, it also supports the health and wellness of humanity.
There are many different kinds of natural yogurts to choose from. Making that choice is a smart decision that puts us in more alignment with nature.
1. Williams EB, Hooper B, Spiro A, et al.The contribution of yogurt to nutrient intakes across the life course.Nutr Bull2015;40:9–32. 10.1111/nbu.12130 [Google Scholar]
2. Tobacman J K. Review of harmful gastrointestinal effects of carrageenan in animal experiments. Environ Health Perspect. 2001 Oct; 109(10): 983–994. [PMC Free Article]
© Copyright 2021 Natural Universal Secrets. All rights reserved. Copying or reproducing any portion of this article is strictly prohibited and punishable by law.
Most yogurts are available either plain ('natural') or with additional flavourings. These can range from fresh fruit to sugar, artificial flavourings or additives such as starch, which acts as a thickener. Some yogurts are thickened with gelatine, which makes them inappropriate for vegetarians – always read the label.What is the healthiest and best tasting yogurt? ›
- Wallaby Organic No Sugar Added Greek Yogurt.
- Fage Total 2% Greek Yogurt.
- Chobani Complete.
- Siggi's Skyr.
- Coconut Cult Probiotic Coconut Yogurt.
- Lavva Dairy Free Yogurt.
- Siggi's Plant-Based Yogurt.
What Does Yogurt Taste Like? Fans of fermented food will revel in yogurt's sour tang, which is especially prevalent in the strained Greek variety. It always has a smooth and creamy texture, and yogurt can be sweet, savory, sour, and/and rich, depending on which type you try.What's the difference between Greek yogurt and natural yogurt? ›
Regular and Greek yogurt are made from the same ingredients but differ in nutrients. While regular yogurt tends to have fewer calories and more calcium, Greek yogurt has more protein and less sugar — and a much thicker consistency. Both types pack probiotics and support digestion, weight loss, and heart health.What does natural yogurt taste like? ›
Natural yogurt tastes pure, light, tangy, and cultured. It has a vibrant tartness, reminiscent of sour cream, with an airy lift of creaminess. Natural yogurt tastes almost the same as regular yogurt. The texture tends to be hearty, smooth, cool, and silky.Which is better for you Greek or natural yoghurt? ›
Because nutritionists urge us to avoid too many sweets, going Greek is a smarter choice. “Greek has a lower amount of sugar (around 5-8 grams, compared to 12 or more grams) than the regular yogurt, while still having the high levels of vitamins and minerals,” Ewoldt says.Should you eat yogurt everyday? ›
"Regular intake of healthy bacteria, such as the kind from yogurt, has been shown to have positive effects on weight management and the GI tract," says Morgyn Clair, RD. "Eating yogurt daily can help you reach a healthy weight while still providing a satisfying snack."How often should you eat yogurt? ›
Eating two to three servings of yogurt per week decreases sugar and caffeine cravings. This helps with weight management and improved heart health. It also reduces the risk of diabetes and age-related cognitive impairment.What is the healthiest yogurt in the world? ›
Greek yoghurt is generally considered the most nutritious option when it comes to yoghurts. Due to the way it is made, it is naturally higher in protein, which makes it a great addition to breakfast, leaving you feeling satisfied throughout the morning.What is the best tasting yogurt to eat? ›
- Best Indulgent: Chobani. ...
- Best For Kids: Stonyfield Organic Kids. ...
- Best Low-Fat Yogurt: Siggi's. ...
- Best Flavored: Noosa. ...
- Best Dairy-Free: Silk Dairy-Free Yogurt Alternative. ...
- Best Greek: Fage Total. ...
- Best Classic: La Fermière.
For spoonable dairy yogurt, strawberry is the leading flavor in global new product launches (between July 2019 and June 2020) at 16%, followed by vanilla (7%), blueberry (5%), and peach and raspberry (both 4%).What is the most popular flavour of yogurt? ›
Why it's good for you: A fermented food, yogurt naturally contains lots of probiotic cultures that strengthen the digestive tract. Some Greek yogurt also boasts added probiotics like Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei that may help increase the good bacteria in your gut.Is natural yogurt good for you? ›
It's very nutritious, and eating it regularly may boost several aspects of your health. For example, yogurt has been found to reduce the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis, as well as aid in weight management.Why is natural yoghurt so sour? ›
According to Scientific American magazine, the bacteria's job is to break down, or ferment, the lactose sugars in the milk and turn them into lactic acid in a process known as fermentation. Lactic acid is what gives yogurt its sour taste.Is natural yogurt better than Flavoured yoghurt? ›
Still, it's a healthier choice. But, like the other brands, stick to the plain varieties. The brand's flavored or fruit-added yogurts contain plenty of added sugar.Does yogurt burn belly fat? ›
Also, yogurt is rich in calcium and research has linked calcium to lower levels of abdominal fat. Of course, all the nutrients in food work together, but calcium has been singled out because experts believe it may help to increase fat burn, reduce fat absorption, and slightly rev metabolism.Is natural yogurt good for weight loss? ›
In summary, yes, yogurt can be a great food for weight loss. “Yogurt is a good source of protein that helps with satiety,” says Maggie Michalczyk, RDN. That means it'll keep you full for a significant amount of time.How much yogurt should you eat a day? ›
Tip. It's safe and healthy to eat up to 3 cups of unsweetened nonfat or low-fat yogurt every day.What does yogurt do for the female body? ›
Reduced Vaginal Disease Risks
According to a 2013 study published in “Nutrition Research,” eating yogurt on a regular basis is linked to lower blood pressure, blood glucose, and triglyceride levels, as well as decreased insulin resistance and vaginal infections, when compared to not eating yoghurt.
With the four recommended times mentioned above, the best options to consume yogurt are in the morning or on an empty stomach. This is because the good bacteria or probiotics in yogurt must reach the large intestine alive to maintain digestive efficiency and health.What are the disadvantages of yogurt? ›
One Disadvantage of Yogurt
Added sugar contributes to calorie intake without adding essential nutrients, per the USDA's Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Yogurt marked specifically for children or toddlers often contains more added sugars. Even more, fat-free products will often add more sugar for better flavor.
Having a glass of water after eating yogurt helps improve your body's capability to absorb water and improves hydration.Is yogurt good for sleep? ›
It can help you to sleep
Dairy products such as Greek Yogurt contain an amino acid called tryptophan, which may help you to feel drowsier before heading to bed. After you eat foods rich in tryptophan, your body converts it into two hormones, serotonin and melatonin, which may promote a restful night's sleep.
Eating yogurt or fermented milk products on an empty stomach forms hydrochloric acid. This kills the lactic acid bacteria present in these milk products and leads to acidity. Hence, eating these products should be avoided on an empty stomach.Which yogurt has the most live bacteria? ›
While calories, protein, and calcium remain similar, kefir often contains more probiotics than yogurt. Some data even suggests kefir, which can average 61 different strains of probiotic bacteria, contains as much as three times the number of probiotics in regular yogurt.Which is healthier milk or yogurt? ›
And it provides other nutrients such as iodine, vitamins D, B2 and B12, and zinc. But yoghurt is actually more nutritious than milk. The main reason is that the fermentation process makes it easier to digest, so the nutrients can be absorbed more easily into the body.Is there a yogurt that taste like ice cream? ›
I'm usually not a yogurt fan but Ellenos yogurt tastes like ice cream and you don't feel the guilt.What is the best yogurt for breakfast? ›
Greek yogurt is a great ally at breakfast because it's healthy, light, nutritious, and super versatile. In fact, most nutritionists recommend making it part of a balanced diet, since it's also low in sugar and fats (if you choose the fat-free variety, that is).What brand of yogurt has real fruit in it? ›
Chobani® Fruit on the Bottom Greek Yogurt is crafted with real fruit and fresh, local milk, made with only natural ingredients and no preservatives. Perfect for everyday, anytime eating.
According to this statistic, 44.7 million Americans consumed Chobani in 2020.What culture eats the most yogurt? ›
France. The country that gave the world Danone and their desserts and snacks tops the list of the 11 countries that consume the most yogurt. Accounts of yogurt consumption there date back to Francis I of France who was miraculously healed by eating it.What is the most important ingredient in yogurt? ›
The production of yogurt requires only two ingredients: milk and live cultures. However, producers may also include, dry milk powder, stabilizers, fruit, and sweeteners. Milk is the main ingredient used when making yogurt. It can be cream, whole, low-fat, or skim.Is yogurt good for acid reflux? ›
Yogurt that is not too sour is also excellent for acid reflux, because of the probiotics that help normalize bowel function. Yogurt also provides protein, and soothes stomach discomfort, often providing a cooling sensation. It is easy to choose foods by looking them up to see how acidic they are.Can yogurt give you gas? ›
It's touted for its belly-calming probiotics, but certain types of yogurt could actually be doing you more harm than good. That's because dairy products contain varying levels of the sugar molecule lactose, which gets fermented in your body and creates gas bubbles and bloating, Greer says.What cheese is best for gut health? ›
Gorgonzola, parmesan, cheddar, and gouda are just some of the aged cheeses that can be beneficial to your gut health.What is the disadvantage of eating yogurt everyday? ›
Weakened immune system: Although rare, live bacteria in yogurt can might cause illness in people with weakened immune systems. If you have a weakened immune system, talk to your healthcare provider before eating large amounts of yogurt that contain live bacteria for prolonged periods of time.Is Greek yogurt healthier than oatmeal? ›
Yogurt is known for its high protein, calcium and probiotic contents, so it's likely better than oatmeal at encouraging weight loss through a high-protein diet, staving off osteoporosis, improving bone density and treating or preventing digestive issues.What are the disadvantages of Greek yogurt? ›
Like other dairy products, Greek yogurt contains natural hormones, which can be harmful to people with hormonal imbalances. The pasteurized and homogenized milk used in the yogurt can lead to histamine problems such as acne and eczema, as well as gastrointestinal problems for some people.Is Greek yogurt good to eat everyday? ›
It can be made with nonfat milk, 2% milk, or even whole milk. Depending on the fat content of the yogurt, the calorie content could vary. Consuming one to two cups of lowfat Greek yogurt daily can be a healthy addition to your diet without making it difficult to maintain your weight.
Natural yoghurt contains lactose, the natural sugar in milk. Some brands add sugar to sweeten the yoghurt, eg. Yoplait Natural Sweetened. It's important to read the ingredients list to see if sugar is listed.What is a substitute for plain yogurt? ›
The take-away: In a pinch, substitute buttermilk, or milk that has been spiked with a little lemon juice or vinegar (aka homemade buttermilk) and use 1/4 less milk than the amount of yogurt called for in the recipe.What can I substitute natural yogurt with? ›
- Crème Fraîche or Sour Cream. If I don't have yoghurt in the fridge, a sour cream is my go-to substitute. ...
- Double Cream. A thick dollop of double cream will be sweeter and richer than yoghurt which may or may not be a good thing.
- Lemon Whipped Cream. ...
- Buttermilk. ...
- Cottage Cheese. ...
Yogurts can be high in protein, calcium, vitamins, and live culture, or probiotics, which can enhance the gut microbiota. These can offer protection for bones and teeth and help prevent digestive problems. Low-fat yogurt can be a useful source of protein on a weight-loss diet. Probiotics may boost the immune system.Which natural yogurt is best? ›
Greek yoghurt is generally considered the most nutritious option when it comes to yoghurts. Due to the way it is made, it is naturally higher in protein, which makes it a great addition to breakfast, leaving you feeling satisfied throughout the morning.How much natural yogurt should I eat a day? ›
Tip. It's safe and healthy to eat up to 3 cups of unsweetened nonfat or low-fat yogurt every day.Can I replace a meal with yogurt? ›
To jump-start a weight loss plan, meal replacement is a quick way to see results, writes Kaiser Permanente. It can be easy to underestimate portion sizes and calories, and replacing a meal with a pre-portioned, lower-fat choice, like fruit and yogurt, can help you cut calories and fat.How can I eat yogurt without tasting it? ›
If you're not into the tart taste of yogurt,add your own honey, maple syrup, fruit preserves, berries, or other chopped fruit (this is a much healthier than buying pre-sweetened yogurt, as you'll add less sugar). Aim for a little (1 tsp) then add more if you need to.Does plain yogurt taste like anything? ›
Plain Yogurt has a light, airy, tart, and tangy flavor with a slightly more sour taste than sweet. It has the essence of natural fermenting factors that makes the yogurt far healthier than store-bought flavored yogurt which has added sugars.Is natural yogurt the same as probiotic? ›
All yoghurt contains live bacterial cultures, which ferment milk to make yoghurt, but only some types of yoghurt have added probiotics (bacteria that have a proven health benefit).
Cheese, milk, and Greek-style yogurt all contain a good amount of protein. However, low-fat, high-protein dairy products such as cottage cheese, Greek-style yogurt, skyr, or skim or 1% milk are preferable in order to truly substitute the benefits of lean meat.Is it OK to eat yogurt everyday? ›
Eating two to three containers of yogurt every day can add around 500 calories and close to 100 grams of sugar to the daily diet. This can cause unwanted weight gain and increase the risk of diabetes. There have been gastroenteritis outbreaks in the past because of the use of unpasteurized milk in yogurt.